Coordinator, Purchasing – Burnaby, BC
Procon Mining and Tunnelling (Procon) specializes in underground mine development, contract mining, underground excavations, civil tunneling and mining related construction projects. Since 1992, Procon has been building its reputation for its expertise in tackling and delivering challenging projects across Canada and select international locations.
As a specialty contractor in a safety-sensitive business, workforce safety is the foundation for everything we do. Centered by our people, our company culture is driven on the tenets of integrity, innovation, relationships and performance for our clients, business partners and the communities we work in.
We are looking for a motivated person who is committed to growing their professional career at Procon while gaining valuable knowledge and experience.
Procon is currently seeking a Coordinator, Purchasing based at our Head Office in Burnaby, BC.
The role of the Coordinator, Purchasing may be summarized as follows:
The Coordinator, Purchasing is responsible to the Manager, Purchasing. The Coordinator, Purchasing is involved in the planning and strategies for the development and implementation of all Procurement, materials and equipment supply activities for a designated project or business unit. This position will promote value-adding initiatives that leverage on the industry’s best practices whilst maintaining a high degree of integrity. The Coordinator, Purchasing will proactively manage and monitor vendor performance for the safe and timely execution of agreements in the most economical and professional manner.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processing of Requisitions from assigned Project and / or Business Unit through the ERP system.
- Work with site teams to manage flow of materials, stock, and priority orders.
- Manage vendors’ work performance and compliance to contractual terms and conditions. Review, assess and report on Vendor performance as well as recommend mitigation measures to address any relevant issues to ensure no delay or interruption to project execution and operations.
- Manage the maintenance and administration of purchase orders and act as a one-stop resource center for matters pertaining to agreement records, vendor and contractors’ data, bidders’ list etc. to sustain the reliability and availability of open/classified information at all times as well as for reference during negotiations and disputes.
- Manage urgent and ad-hoc requirements through optimization, planning and coordination in order to provide total quality solutions for projects and operations.
- Monitor and mitigate risks in order to eliminate/ minimize risk of non-performance of Contractor(s) and Vendor(s) that may lead to cost overrun or project and operational delays.
- Report claims and variances for Purchase Order variations (i.e. change orders) to Purchasing Manager and control change orders to ensure minimal deviation to original plan and budget.
- Foster and sustain effective working relationships and rapport with business and management institutions, and service providers.
- Contribute to the Procurement and Supply Chain Management discipline’s interface, population and maintenance of ERP modules.
- Communicate, interpret and champion the execution of the objectives and provisions of the Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) policies and Business Integrity and undertake appropriate mitigation and/or intervention programs to safeguard business operations, high staff discipline and industrial harmony.
- Enforce the implementation of applicable Procon Mining and Tunnelling procedures and guidelines and the compliance to statutory and legislative requirements and conformance to the established Limits of Authority (LOA), group wide policies and government regulations to safeguard Procon and shareholders’ integrity and image as a responsible company.
- Participate as a competent working team member that will enhance and sustain staff capabilities in achieving high performance delivery.
- Have a mindset, behavior and culture to achieve high work performance and instill high sense of commitment, ownership, integrity and loyalty that will contribute to operational excellence.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong relationship building and networking ability
- Strong drive and resilience to meet tight deadlines as well as to fulfill various stakeholders’ requirements
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Posses, or working towards, SCMP designation or Parts Person Trade Certificate is preferred, or a Diploma or Degree in Business Admin or related field considered an asset
- 2+ years working experience in a purchasing or material management role – preference given to those with experience dealing with heavy equipment, with knowledge of mining equipment, attachments, ground support and ancillary underground mining equipment, ventilation and infrastructure
- An understanding of applicable regulatory requirements for underground mining (i.e. Mine’s Act, CANMET, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Written and spoken French would be considered an asset.
- Proficiency in the planning and control of work in a multi-project, deadline driven environment
- Experience using ERP software (GuideTI, and/or SAP preferred)
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with all levels of individuals is essential
- Ability to prioritize work and strong organizational skills
- A strong initiative; proactive approach to problem solving
- This position may require some travel to remote mining sites and repair and overhaul facilities across Canada.
- Must be able to function in complex environments including multiple work locations
- Must be able to function in a fast-paced contracting environment with minimal supervision
Compensation and Benefits
- Market-driven compensation
- Career Development
- Competitive Extended Health Care benefits
- RRSP plan
- Company sponsored events
We thank all candidates that apply, however please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.