Safety Manager – Saskatoon, SK
ProconSAFE is an autonomous safety division within the Procon Group of Companies, a successful Canadian mining contractor. ProconSAFE was created to help Procon become “Best in Class in Safety” and functions alongside Procon’s operations group, providing strategic safety services, personnel, and direction.
ProconSAFE is actively searching for a Safety Manager to support Procon’s Industrial Division, operating mainly in the Saskatchewan potash mines. This is a full-time permanent position based in Saskatoon, SK.
We are looking to appoint a safety manager to lead ProconSAFE’s corporate safety strategy and act as the functional expert for the Industrial Division. The position will work with and through both ProconSAFE’s corporate team and the divisional management and will need to successfully drive behavioural and cultural change.
This position will be responsible for implementing, maintaining, and improving on the following within the Industrial Division:
- Support the Industrial Division General Manager in efforts to provide a safe and accident free workplace;
- Maintain workplace safety and protect workers’ health, in compliance with company standards, best practice, and applicable regulations. This includes, but is not limited to, regulatory compliance, safety audits and inspections, root cause incident investigations, corrective actions, safety committees, the site safety team, and training;
- Maintain training and incident matrixes, corrective action tracking, safety statistics, and training records;
- Coordinate health and safety information between all division locations and between the division and the company;
- Identify cultural and behavioural issues related to health and safety, and, in consultation with ProconSAFE’s corporate team, manage change processes (i.e. development of solutions through to implementation and re-evaluation);
- Actively promote health and safety through continuous communications, relationship building, and leadership across the Industrial Division;
- Advise divisional management on safety objectives, targets and metrics, and help management assess the safety performance of the division;
- Develop complex safety management plans to meet the needs of the division, client and contractual obligations, and during the RFQ process;
- Oversee periodic review and revision of safety management systems, standards, and procedures. Make recommendations to ProconSAFE’s corporate team for modifications to division-wide policies and programs related to safety; and
- Other duties as required.
- Minimum of 10 years work experience in the mining and/or construction industry with a focus on health and safety. Potash mining experience is an asset;
- Professional certification is an asset;
- At least 5 years operating at the management level with team management responsibilities;
- Extensive knowledge of safe work practices and in-depth experience in training, conducting incident analysis, writing technical reports, managing statistics and presenting to senior management;
- Expert knowledge of occupational health and safety systems, including hazard identification/risk assessment, controls for critical tasks, incident management and investigation, technical writing and incorporating safety into design, behavioral safety and safety leadership, as well as regulatory compliance;
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal, with all levels of the organization (management, employees, clients, vendors, etc.);
- Strong relationship building skills with the ability to build positive, lasting relationships with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Proficient use of all Microsoft Office Suite programs;
- Must have a valid driver’s license;
- Must be willing to do limited travel;
- Will be required to maintain a presence on job sites and in the office; and
- Must live in the Saskatoon area.