Director/Vice President, Technical & Support Services
The Director/Vice President of Support Services is a key member of the Senior Leadership Team and has overall responsibility for all areas of operations support including purchasing and supply chain, estimating, project controls, and contracts administration, and developing and maintaining Joint Venture relationships.
This is a new role in an established contracting business that is committed to grow and diversify its capabilities to better serve an evolving mining sector marketplace. There will be latitude to re-structure the support services functions to further optimize performance and customer satisfaction.
We desire a driven and creative leader who will embrace the opportunity to build a successful and scalable contracting business, serving both domestic and international markets, from a corporate office base in Vancouver.
Note: This role may be hired as a Director or Vice President, depending on the skill set and experience of the candidate.
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President of Support Services will lead a multi-functional team providing support to our Operations in the successful execution of our mining development, industrial, and equipment supply contracts. Specific responsibilities will include the following:
- Manage the Project Controls, Estimating, Purchasing/Supply Chain and Contracts Administration teams to ensure targets for bid win percentage, performance, and project margins are achieved or exceeded on all contracts.
- Build and develop these functional teams to ensure best in class performance.
- Lead the Project Controls team, review and improve on current processes and practices to ensure Operations and Senior Executive teams have timely update on project performance, including schedule, financials and key performance indicators as required by client.
- Lead the Estimating team, implementing a new collaborative tendering process, partnering with Operations, Finance and Business Development.
- Review all estimates for accuracy, building in acceptable risk tolerance and contingency, ensuring both a competitive and deliverable estimate to the proposal team.
- Support the development and maintenance of First Nations’ and complimentary business relationships that will ultimately expand, diversify, and solidify our market share.
- Be the key person who manages our Joint Venture partnerships on a day to day basis to ensure their ongoing success and viability.
- Working with the VP, Business Development, support the development strong client relationships, ensuring open communication and solid opportunities for inclusion on bid lists and development of sole source work.
- Review all contracts, joint venture agreements, and other legal documentation for accuracy, effectiveness and to protect Procon’s business interests, working with internal and external resources as required.
- Ensure Procon’s supply chain operates efficiently and effectively, sourcing materials and equipment both regionally and globally to ensure reliable and cost effective outcomes.
- Ensure proper governance is upheld and key controls for the functions managed are in place and remain effective.
- A minimum of 15-20 years of increasingly senior experience in the mining industry – preferably in the contracting business, with advanced knowledge and experience in one or more fields pertaining to the department.
- Post-Secondary degree in Mining/Construction/Engineering or related fields. Additional education in business or executive development training is an asset.
- A demonstrated track record of building high functioning teams.
- Knowledge of ERP and other business management systems would be an asset.
- Experience managing contract formation and execution for the purpose of maximizing financial and operational performance and managing risk exposure.
- Demonstrated skill in identifying, analysing, and providing solutions to complex business problems.
- Basic accounting and tax knowledge. Strong knowledge of commercial terms and legal principles. Experience with claims and contract dispute resolution in the mining field.
- Advanced leadership, management and communication skills, across a broad array of departments.
- Business development and client service relationship experience, demonstrated relationship builder.
- A passion for monitoring and identifying trends in the global mining sector and adapting the business to accommodate and take advantage of emerging opportunities.
- Ability and enthusiasm to travel worldwide as needed to develop and grow the business and support the work.